If you’re facing criminal charges, our expert lawyers in Aurora IL can help. As former prosecutors, we know the system inside and out.
How to Find the Right Lawyers in Aurora IL
Finding and hiring the right lawyers in Aurora, IL for your case is one of the most important things you can do when faced with a legal issue. The search for a lawyer often begins by asking family, friends, or co-workers if they have any recommendations. Others, like ministers, bankers, social workers, or doctors may be able to suggest a good lawyer.
You may also find a lawyer through billboards, the newspaper, television, or radio or doing an Internet search. The results will usually list lawyers by their concentrations, whether it be criminal defense, family law, personal injury, divorce, worker’s compensation, etc. If you find that you can not afford a lawyer, there are legal aid offices throughout the state that will provide legal assistance at no cost or low-cost if you are eligible. This will depend on your income and the legal problem.
Just keep in mind that legal aid does not assist in criminal cases, although you can be assigned a public defender. If you are facing a criminal case in Aurora IL, The Law Offices of Andrew Nickel may be able to represent you, beginning with a free case consultation.
Reasons You May Need an Attorney in Aurora IL
If you are being accused of a crime or sued, your future and freedom may be on the line. To ensure the best possible outcome, you should hire a reputable, knowledgeable, and experienced attorney.
However, you may need the help of a lawyer for an issue that will not require court action. Such reasons may include:
- Entering into a contract of any kind, including a prenuptial agreement.
- When your rights are threatened.
- Administering paperwork in an uncontested divorce.
As trusted Aurora, Illinois divorce, family law, and criminal defense attorneys, The Law Offices of Andrew Nickel can help you with any of the above legal needs and more.
A Lawyer’s Ethical Obligations
Despite what you may have heard, lawyers have an obligation to act ethically and responsibly when it comes to their clients. Therefore, they have a set of strict standards they must follow as outlined in the following.
The first is they must be competent. The highest responsibility an attorney has is to their client. Every attorney must provide work of high-quality, from analyzing legal issues to practice areas like personal injury and divorce/family law to medical malpractice suits. They must study and research changes to the law and always ensure they are representing clients in a professional and effective manner.
The second is they must follow what the client asks of them. This means they inform clients of their options and do what the client wants, despite the fact they may have chosen a different path. One way an attorney does not have to follow their client’s instructions is if they are asked to do something illegal. They are able to refuse to participate in any wrongdoing.
Next, they must act with diligence. The lawyer must act carefully yet quickly when it comes to serving their client. If they cannot give the case the attention they require, they or the law firm may refuse it.
A Kane county or Dupage county lawyer may be able to effectively communicate with a client. When they are asked for an explanation, they are required to provide it in a timely manner. They may also inform the clients of any changes to the case.
Any attorney, especially one with years of experience, must always keep everything confidential, whether it be about a wrongful death suit, family law, or personal injury. Keeping confidentiality means clients will be more apt to be honest knowing information will not be disclosed.
By hiring our law firm and attorneys in the Aurora Illinois area, you will not have any complaints and will get the best results. Keep us in mind for your needs in Kane county and Dupage county and let us take care of your legal issues.
What to Look For When Searching for Attorneys in Aurora IL
To practice law in the state of Illinois, you must be licensed to do so and have graduated from an accredited law school, passed the Illinois Bar Examination, and have been sworn in by the Illinois Supreme Court.
As with all other states, practicing law unauthorized is a crime in Illinois. People, businesses, and websites that claim to be able to represent clients or draft legal documents without being licensed have committed the crime of unauthorized law practice. In some places, notaries may do some legal work, but this is not true in Illinois. Notary publics are prohibited from practicing law.
Attorney Andrew Nickel received his Juris Doctorate at Case Western Reserve University School of Law along with a concentration certificate in litigation. In addition to his years in private practice, Andrew is a former prosecutor, drawing from this experience alongside partner and fellow former prosecutor Hope Nickel.
While important, experience isn’t all that makes a great lawyer. Ultimately, you should hire a lawyer in Aurora, IL, who:
- Will diligently represent your interests in an ethical manner as outlined by the Illinois Supreme Court Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Will be capable of winning your case and handling it with the utmost care.
- Will take an honest approach to your legal problems, your chances of success, how long it will take, how much it will cost, and if you should accept a settlement offer.
- Will have reasonable fees and can tell you what the fees will cover.
- Will ensure all communication – like information and statements – remains confidential no matter how it is revealed throughout the course of your professional relationship.
- Will respect your time and show you courtesy by being on time and ready to work,
- Will inform you of courses of action for your case, alternate solutions, or consequences and let you have the final authority on the objectives pursued in the case up to if you should accept a settlement offer.
- Will exercise good, independent judgment for you, free from outside influences and conflict of interests.
- Will tell you if anyone else will be working on your case and keep a detailed record of how your time is billed.
At The Law Offices of Andrew Nickel, honesty, diligence, and compassion drive everything we do, and you can rest assured that we’ll never fail to uphold the above values when representing you.
Cost of Lawyers Aurora IL
Having open and honest discussions about lawyer fees will prevent misunderstandings. Ethical conduct states that all fees should be reasonable. Attorney prices differ based on training, experience, law office expenses, and skills and they will bill for meetings, preparing documents, representation, and research. Be sure to review any and all bills you receive from your lawyer.
A lawyer may bill for their service in several ways:
- Hourly rate
- Flat rate
- Contingency fees (i.e. they are only paid if you win)
- Percent of fees
- Retainer fee
Our Aurora, IL lawyers provide complete, tireless representation at a reasonable cost. Contact us to schedule a free consultation or to learn more about our rates.
What to Ask When Consulting Law Firms in Aurora IL
Some Kane County attorneys or legal assistants may give you information over the phone, while others will ask you to attend a free, no-obligation consultation. Often, they will collect preliminary information to identify conflicts of interest that could prevent them from representing you.
You should ask the following questions during your legal consultation:
- How experienced are you with cases like mine?
- How long will it take to resolve my legal issue?
- How likely is it that I will get a positive outcome?
- What can I expect to pay for your services?
You may want to interview several different lawyers in Aurora, Illinois before choosing one. Contact each one on your list to get information to help you narrow down your decision.
What to Expect From Our Attorneys in Aurora, Illinois
Here is what you can expect from an attorney upon hiring them:
- Full cooperation. Inform the lawyer about every aspect of the case and be as honest and accurate as possible. Tell them if there are any new developments that could change the outcome of the case.
- Reveal all information – the good, the bad, and the ugly. Keep in mind that this will be kept confidential by your attorney. Gather all the documents and information you need before meeting with the lawyer for the first time.
- Remember that you are not their only client and others are equally deserving of good representation.
- Results cannot be guaranteed, especially in a contested case.
- Most cases require time and effort and are very rarely “open and shut.”
- Remember that you should always pay lawyers’ fees as soon as possible. If you have any billing questions you should call the law firm immediately.
- You are encouraged to ask questions if you do not understand something related to your case or something that your lawyer has said.
When you choose The Law Offices of Andrew Nickel to represent you in your criminal defense or family law case, our attorneys offer full transparency so you can know exactly what to expect at each stage of your case. If you’re ready to begin receiving the personalized, experienced representation you deserve, please contact our office today to schedule a free case consultation.